Monday, December 14, 2009

The thing with feathers.

While at the Recovery Cafe last Thursday, I couldn't think of much I wanted to do for my latest journal page. I doodles some fruits and veggies, some Christmas colored designs... I chatted with the few people in class and tried to come up with something "inspirational." Some days, that just doesn't happen. I was the only "teacher" that day, as the other teacher was gone, and I was feeling a little bit vulnerable, under qualified, etc. While someone would speak here and there, it was just a quiet art class day. Around the room are paper mache sculptures of the words "dream," "love," "inspire..." While I think those things are great, I can't help but feel like I really want to tell these people about the hope that I know. I don't even understand all of it, but somehow I KNOW that I KNOW that it is the truth. 


While contemplating, I drew this... and I don't know Emily Dickinson's work really, or hold it in high esteem, but "the thing with feathers" is just what came to mind once I drew the "hope" part. 









   
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,



And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.



I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.



-Emily Dickinson

2 comments:

Denise DuPar said...

Hi Brittany,

You don't know me, but your parents have been coming to church where my husband is the pastor, and they just gave him the beautiful piece you made for him the last time you were at home. (Psalm 27:8) We love it! You are so talented, and we are so happy to have some of your beautiful work! Thanks so much for sharing your talent. Hope to meet you when you're in Ventura.
Thanks,
Denise DuPar

Britt@artbybritt said...

I'm so glad you guys like it! Thanks for your kind words, Denise. I look forward to meeting you soon. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails