Thursday, November 12, 2009

Art Journal Page #1

Hmmm. I think I explained the Recovery Cafe art project? Maybe not... Well, you know we're making art journals. Each week we will have some sort of theme or prompt, and today's theme is "Self-Portrait." Wendy and I each decided to do one to show as an example. I used to do a ton of self-portraits in high school (because it's easier to look in a mirror than to ask someone to sit for you) but sheesh! I forgot how difficult they are. And by difficult I mean they rarely ever actually look like me. 


So alas, I broke out some old fun "easier" art tricks: crayons and blind drawing! I already knew I wanted to include some text, but just wasn't sure about the actual portrait part... I decided to bring out my inner child and do one portrait with crayons (I used to do this for HOURS as a child... I'll have to find some of those and show you...). 






I also decided to do a blind drawing of my face in ink on brown paper(for anyone who might be confused: blind drawing is where you look only at the object, put your pen down on the paper and never lift it up, all while never looking down at the paper... try it! It's so fun!).








Oh, and I added some journaling text to both. Still not sure how I feel about either of them, but these projects are totally more about expressing than about getting some image exactly right, and if I am trying to get these people to understand that, I have to understand it to. Oh, the joys of self-discovery! If I have to pick right now, I'll use the blind drawing as my first page - I like the page size better for my art journal-to-be. 


I'll try to take some pictures today during class so you can get an idea of what it's like. I'll see if I can get some photos of other journal pages too. I'm pretty excited! 

1 comment:

Destiny said...

I've been following your blog since I saw your artwork featured on the Mars Hill website (I think that's where it was). Thanks for posting about the art journal! I've been obsessed about doing one ever since the "recovery cafe update." Hope to see some more of your pages! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails