Tuesday, June 2, 2009

"It's not what you think it is"




This post has been brewing for a couple of years... I wasn't sure if I should share with the public or keep it to myself, but since I'm bringing back some of the old stuff, I thought I might as well. This series of 3 was done the summer after I graduated college, and made its debute at my first art show in Magnolia. People seemed to like the series well enough; they commented on the colors and on the inspiration of the words in the center piece. But, multiple times I experienced the awkward silence that seemed to say, "Nice... ah... but is that... ahem...?" It wasn't until a couple of people mentioned the same thing that I realized the piece on the right looks like... well, some male anatomy. In all honesty, I had never even noticed! When working on it, I glued some raffia down, and then just painted around the shape of the raffia -- it was totally just an artistic moment with no method to it. But I was so embarrassed by the realization of what it looked like that I was tempted to remove the piece from the show and never share it again. I didn't take it down, but it hasn't made an appearance at any other shows since. A few months after that show, my parents were in town and we decided to have dinner with some of our long time family friends from Issaquah. We enjoyed a lovely dinner with them in the U District and then invited them over to my house for some dessert. Because these friends wanted to hear all the updates, we decided to show them a slideshow of my most recent work. It went well until, alas, these photos came up. My mom and I got the giggles, and after some "What? Tell us!" and the like, I began to explain. After thinking through this entire thing for just a couple of seconds, the dad of these family friends says, "Well, why don't you just title it, "It's not what you think it is? That would keep people quiet." We immediately burst out laughing, and I've called it that (to myself of course, as it hasn't been in the public eye!) ever since! Hope that's not too much for you all...



Photos by Luke Rutan (www.lukerutan.com)

3 comments:

Harrell said...

that is hilarious...Am I totally lame that I still dont see it, though??

Nicole Wenger said...

oh my gosh i totally remember that!! it so looks like a peep even now, oh good times!

Britt said...

"Harrell" - it's not totally clear, so you aren't totally lame... its more implied, apparently. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails