Saturday, December 6, 2008

Beginnings...

I'll start from the beginning... that is, the beginning, after I graduated college and started "trying to be an artist." I mean, I've been an artist my whole life. I used to draw pictures on the bulletins at church, instead of listening to the sermons. I used to draw on my class work in school and get in trouble because the paper didn't look neat and clean enough. I took 4 years of AP art with Mrs. Patti Post - my favorite teacher of all time, and the person who inspired me to pursue art more seriously. Art has been a part of my life for a long time... sometimes, not too consistently, and sometimes, all day every day.

Anyways, after I graduated college I didn't know what to do with myself and I thought, "I live in Seattle - a place that supports and encourages the arts... why not try getting some shows up?" Little did I know that it is difficult to find places that are ready and willing to put art work up right away -- there are a LOT of artists in Seattle! I spent the entire summer trying to figure out my painting style as well as trying to find places that had empty wall space. I finally found a small space in Magnolia at the [then] Glow Studio, a day spa of sorts. This work was up September to November of 2006. I had an opening, and sold more than half of what was for sale... for definitely too little. After that show, people told me to raise my prices, so that was the next detail to figure out in the adventure of figuring out how to be a real live artist...










Photos by Luke Rutan (http://www.lukerutan.com/)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails